Monday 8 April 2013

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko

I knew I was missing something! The fucking title is a fucking Cheshire Cat reference!
“Well! I’ve often seen a cat without a grin,” thought Alice; “but a grin without a cat! It’s the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!”
And yeah. The "cat without a grin" part is translated as "warawanai neko" in japanese (source: jp wiki).

In this line of thought, may I present you some translations!
The Perverted Prince and The Cat Without a Grin
Принцът на Перверзниците и Котката без Усмивка
So far so good.

Am I not too paranoid, you would ask? Did the author really intend this as a reference?

Yeah, I am pretty sure he did.

Why? Besides Oscar Wilde to show that he has a taste in English storytellers, a lot of what Sagara Sou writes has this distinct "fairy tale" feel to it, which actually creates a lot of the atmosphere that I like so much. It's only the feel, naturally. But... Tell me that the end of the first Fairies Don't Get Mad chapter doesn't scream this. Yeah, this arc even uses the word "fairy" in the title --but of course, that's the least of it. And, besides... I feel it's right within Sagara's sense of humor to have a main character that is the complementation of "the smile without a cat".

Heh. This, in a sense, makes Yokodera exactly this. So, the combination... uh, Yokodera and Tsutsukakushi's kid will be the Cheshire Cat? For the record, yeah, I know that this is already reading too much into it. The passing Alice in Wonderland reference and the added value fairy tale feel to the title are more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment