Sunday 25 February 2018

Re: Itsudatte Bokura no Koi wa 10cm datta



It was a shit anime, made slightly better by the main guy's breakdown, but anyway, it got me thinking.

Putting aside things like tradition and bureaucracy, what even is the concept of marriage? I would argue at its core it is about self-identification. The married couple puts the concept of being married (to the other person) as part of their self-identification. And like a nationalist would have a national flag, they have their rings to pronounce to the world this part of their identity. Of course, all of this is muddled by the aforementioned tradition and bureaucracy, but, fortunately, we have a pure, distilled example: the concept of the waifu. To say a given character is your waifu means purely that you have chosen her, and that from now on the fact that you have chosen her is part of your identity. You'd eagerly pronounce "I am a Chihirofag" and so on.

So, what was I saying? Oh yeah. I always self-identify with my own choices. That's the sole basis of my identity. Neither physical characteristics, nor groups I mingle with are things I'd ever allow to be part of my self-identification process. It's just choices. And, to start with, I'd never date a girl if I haven't chosen her. That, unfortunately for Ver, means it's really unlikely I'll ever get around to marrying her, as it seems it's just a pointless formality to my subconsciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment